Monday, June 9, 2014

Tony Awards 2014



You know me by now... These are my favorites!  The Tony's hold a special place in my heart, one that will never be replaced by anything else.  I grew up dreaming of becoming a Broadway star, I did summer shows in my small town, participated in plays and musicals when I could, and followed the NYC Theatre scene as best as an 11 year-old could.  Ten years ago (!!) I fell in love with a musical that changed my life (it was Wicked), watched Idina Menzel's acceptance the next day on YouTube, and vowed to never miss a broadcast of the Tony Awards again.

Well, I only missed a handful.  While the Oscars and Golden Globes tend to be focused analytically for me on the films, performances, and fashion of the ceremony, the Tony's are pure joy for me.  I love looking at the dresses and suits (Emmy Rossum and Orlando Bloom, I'm looking at you this year), but it's the performances, the jokes, and the camaraderie of the Tony Awards that gets me every year.

When the awards are handed out and the reactions filmed, every face is genuinely happy and proud of the winner.  In all my years, I don't know that one has ever stuck out to me as being negative.  While critics may argue jiltings, rip-offs, and a bad vote, I sit back in Minnesota and am just happy that a celebration of theatre is being nationally broadcast.  I have little opinion on who should or shouldn't win - after all, I didn't see all the shows this time (or anytime).

Last night's performance was incredible, as always, and I've got some of my favorites - definitely not all of them - listed below!


As the most nominated musical this year, I knew next to nothing about A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder.  After this performance, I could not wait to get my hands on the cast recording.  I'm literally listening to it on repeat as I type this.  Cannot wait until it begins a National tour!


Hedwig and the Angry Inch anyone?  I know the storyline, but I avoided listening/reading anything until I could see the Tony performance.  AH-MAZE-BALLS.  Blown away as always by NPH, but Lena Hall?  Damn, girl.


Speaking of Lena Hall, can I just listen to her acceptance speech all day?  Or Audra McDonald's, Mark Rylance's, or James Monroe Iglehart's to name a few more?  I love the Tony Award acceptance speeches more than any other award ceremony.  Each speech is either incredibly humble, or incredibly excited.  The hand shaking, crying, fumbling papers, and nonsense is a beautiful representation of real people, proud of what they've done.


Idina Menzel's performance from If/Then was near perfection, but I was so pleasantly surprised by Jessie Mueller and Carole King's performance.  I'd heard of the show, but wasn't terribly familiar with everything surrounding it and even (I'm so ashamed) didn't particularly care to learn more.  Well, I'm sorry Ms. Mueller and Ms. King.  I am humbled by how PHENOMENAL you were.


Uhm, yeah.

Here's the complete list of winners!


Sidenote: The Wicked tribute made me tear up.  Ten years ago my life truly was changed for good.  Wicked4ever.


Did you watch the show this year?  What did you think?

photo credits: google images

No comments:

Post a Comment