Monday, January 13, 2014

Golden Globes

My favorite season is the one between winter and spring.  It's called award season.  It lasts only a few months, but it is the most glorious time of the year.  During every show, I'm either furiously tweeting, shushing the person next to me, squealing with glee, or getting very upset with various upsets.  I would love to be a correspondent on the red carpet, reporting on the award shows, or even one day produce the broadcast.  My undergrad thesis was about award shows (and other things but still).  There's the introduction.  I love award shows.

Anyways. I watched the Golden Globes last night with Nathan and definitely had mixed emotions throughout.  Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosting for the second time was phenomenal, as was expected, and I'm so excited for their third round next year.  Their opening monologue was great, as were all their other bits.  The "there's a special place in hell for you" comment Tina made when Amy won her award was a subtle reference to last year's TSwift debacle.  I, for one, found it hilarious.

Jennifer Lawrence and Jacqueline Bisset won the first two awards and gave two very different speeches (Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy/Musical for American Hustle and Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television for Dancing on the Edge, respectively).  Lawrence was gracious and shocked, as per her award speeches, and shared an anecdote about her experience with David O. Russell.  Russell directed Lawrence in her previous film, Silver Linings Playbook (which I loved), and the one she is currently gaining accolades for, American Hustle.  As usual, I was smiling when she finished.  Bisset followed and it was, as many have already pointed out, extremely awkward.  It took her a lengthy amount of time to get to the stage, though her double-back to Jon Voigt was adorable and made my heart squeal.  When she finally did, she was in complete awe of her award and it showed in her scattered acceptance.

To be honest, I found Bisset refreshing.  I know it's the unpopular opinion, but it is refreshing to see celebrities as real people.  Yes, she was up there in a gown that could probably pay for my college education, at an event that is wonderfully and abhorrently frivolous, but she was bumbling and stumbling and showing complete and utter shock.  Real shock, real graciousness.  It was beautiful.

Amy Adams, Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical for American Hustle, talking over the cut-off music, delivered my favorite line of the night.  She said she wouldn't be stopped from talking about her daughter and that her daughter has taught her to "accept joy and let go of fear".  It's really had me thinking lately, and it is definitely something that will stick with me.

There were notable awards that I loved: Jon Voigt, winning Best Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series, or Motion Picture Made for Television for Ray Donovan, Andy Samberg winning Best Actor in a Television Series Comedy or Musical, Amy Poehler winning Best Actress in a Television Series Comedy or Musical, and their were upsets that upset me that I won't take the time to rant about.  But I do need to see Dallas Buyers Club because apparently it's better than anyone guessed (ahem).

Aside from the awards, there is the fashion of course.  Aubrey Plaza won my heart for favorite look, but you can find almost every look here.

aubrey


Huffington Post hated her look, but apparently I'm the Queen of unpopular opinions of the 2014 Golden Globes.



Did you watch the show?  What did you think?

1 comment:

  1. […] Oscar Nominations As I’ve mentioned, I LOVE award season, especially the Oscars.  Well, the nominees are up today and I’m mostly […]

    ReplyDelete