Monday, July 21, 2014

beauty review:: dry shampoo

Inspired by Becky's recent (ish, I'm behind as usual...) post on this same topic, I was inspired to do this ranking for you all.  Dry shampoo is my dirty (clean??) little secret that I've been using for years.  To be honest, it started when I began college and tended to rush to class before a shower, or just needed a refresher after a nap.  My blonde hair tends to show products and look oily easily, so dry shampoo has been a go-to beauty-saver time and time again.  Over the years, I've made sure to try a few different brands, so here are my reviews of a few...



Suave Dry Shampoo
I've used this brand once.  Some people absolutely LOVE it, but it wasn't for me.  There is a distinct scent to it, one I wouldn't necessarily describe as pleasant.  The biggest issue I had with this one was that it left a slight residue in my hair.  Yes, I brushed out the white powder, but my hair still felt grainy to the touch.  If you don't mind either of those, it is a wonderful budget option, and it did add quite a bit of volume to my hair!







Let me start by saying, the smell isn't nearly as wonderful as some other products.  It's not bad per se, just not fantastic.  It eliminates some oily sheen, but not all.  If you're only using dry shampoo for a bit of volume, or to get rid of some oils for a quick meeting (face-to-face/Skype) before you hop into the shower, or one last errand after the gym, this is a great, low-cost option.  For all day use, you'll find yourself needing to reapply. 






This is my favorite.  It's not as popular, or as easy to find, but it is my favorite brand (it's cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target!).  Personally, I love the smell.  Others find that it's a little strong.  I agree it's strong at first, but it doesn't linger.  The only linger is a nice, light, clean scent.  The only con to it is that if you spray too much, roots can look a little gray.  If you take the time to brush it out and shake it through the roots a bit, it disappears.  It lasts forever though, which is why the pros outweigh the cons for me.  As someone with hair that shows grease so, so easy, a long-lasting product is what I need.










In a pinch, Johnson's Baby Powder is the go-to.  I bring the little 3oz one with me on vacation and just put a little on if needed.  Cheaper than a travel size dry shampoo, easier to find, and great in a pinch, just puff some on your roots, brush, and go!  This one is the winner in smell too, ha!




What's your dirty (clean??) little secret?

No comments:

Post a Comment