Wednesday, July 9, 2014

take me back..4th of July



I was running errands for work yesterday and received these lovely flowers from the grocery store.  As they had no use for red, white, and blue flowers any longer, each purchase was accompanied by these - so wonderful!  I couldn't stop smiling over them and I couldn't help but think about the amazing Fourth of July weekend I'd just had.

For the first time in over two years (!!), I was able to go out on the lake that my grandparents have had a cabin - and now a house - on, for over a decade.  Nathan had never been on the water, but my joy of sharing that with him was surpassed by my happiness of just being out there again.

I managed to only get a bit of splotchy sunburn (#sunscreen4ever) and it was all worth it.  Growing up, my grandparents had hosted a bash each Fourth of July and I have so many happy memories from those parties.  Unfortunately, my grandmother was hospitalized during the weekend.  It was a bummer, but Nathan and I made our way to Sioux Falls to spend the afternoon with her and enjoy a dinner out with Papa.  

As I reflect back on the weekend, not one part, not even spending half of a gorgeous day in a hospital room, has a negative cloud above it.  Fireworks on the lake, old friends boating over to say hello, games of guesstures with some of my favorite people, and just enjoying a part of my childhood happily, without the sad-tinged nostalgia of growing up, is enough to tide me over for quite awhile.  

And if it doesn't, I can look back on the one picture of the weekend that Kit sent me...

No comments:

Post a Comment