Tuesday, February 18, 2014

growing up & going out.

To be honest, I have a Facebook album with the same title.  I started it when I began my PSEO year at Southwest Minnesota State University, and continued to add to it over the next two years.  There was something about the title that just kind of rang with what was going on in my life at the time.  Another year or so passed and I really hadn't thought about the title until this week.

I completed my first (very, very long) week at my internship.  I'm currently working roughly 25-30 hours a week, plus class, plus homework, and I'm still exhausted.  Aside from a few bad-stress inducing moments, the stress and exhaustion I felt at the end of the week was just shy of exhilarating.  I ended the week with the office closing a couple hours early and being able to take that time to get ready for a wonderful Valentine's date with Nathan.  I'm still geeking out over the calligraphy set he got me!

My weekend was spent seeing most of my family, as my Dad, his girlfriend, her daughter, and my three siblings were all in the city for the weekend.  What a joy that was!  We spent time at the Mall of America, swimming at the water park located in the hotel they were staying at, and staying up late to play card games.  There were tons of laughs and stories, along with being awoken by six year-old fingers prying open my sleeping eyes.  We saw "the Lego Movie" and the six year old was not the only one with the "awesome" song stuck in their heads.  I ended Sunday night absolutely and utterly exhausted and completely happy.

Although I was able to sleep in a little later than normal on Monday morning, I still went non-stop for most of the day, and continued on today.  I have to keep reminding myself that I need to carve a little time for me, a little time for Nathan, and a few minutes every so often to just breathe.  I've spent months - almost years - of my life wishing for days like this.  Where I had things to do, projects to accomplish, and things that made me "grown up".

Well, I'm here.  I'm accelerating faster and faster towards birthdays, anniversaries, graduation, real jobs, and the real world.  I'm growing up and I'm going out, and although some days are harder than others, I'm doing my best to love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment