Sunday, February 2, 2014

cold weather blessings.

Remember that time I posted about cold being 5F?.  Well I take that all back.  All of it.  Earlier in the week, the University of Minnesota canceled all classes on Monday, and morning classes on Tuesday because of the cold.  It was -27F, and it felt a whole lot colder.  I grew up with late starts, snow days, and early outs because the amount of snow we received made it difficult for the country kids to get anywhere and even more difficult for big ol’ busses to make it out there.  My first year at a small college in southwest Minnesota called at least 3 full days off of school, and multiple other cancelled mornings or afternoons.  Imagine my dismay then, when I came to the U of M and never had days, mornings, or afternoons off due to the snow.  And I had to walk in it!

It made sense though.  Plows were out early, Metro Transit was always running, and there never seemed to be as much snow in the city as there was in my hometown.  After three years of finally coming to terms with it, I was beyond excited when I found out Sunday night that I would not be having class the next day.  Our University called off school because of the cold.  And it was marvelous.

I had a spa night by myself, which was awesome.  I tried this hair mask recipe.  And this face mask recipe.  I used my walnut foot scrub that is to die for.  And I watched a lot of Grey’s Anatomy.  I slept in the next morning and got to have my coffee while watching the news and not feeling rushed.  I spent all of Monday finding the fine line between being lazy and being productive.  To say I wish I could start every week like that is an understatement.  I have felt that balance of time off and time on the ball all week, and it’s made me more productive and happier than I can remember being in awhile.  There was something about having a “cold day” that brought back all my memories of “snow days”.  They always involved movies, hot chocolate, and blankets, and they were always happy.

I’ve had individual classes canceled for various reasons before, but I was never able to feel the childish joy because of the mass amount of homework that needed to be done.  That Sunday night pampering and the wonderful balance of Monday is an experience I'm hoping to take a lesson from and implement into my Sundays.  I want to do a little pampering, whether it be painting my nail or doing a face mask.  I want to do something creatively based and I want to accomplish a little task or two to start off my week on the right foot.

Do you have any similar stories? If so, share them with me!  Try pampering yourself before the start of your week - it definitely helps the mindset!

No comments:

Post a Comment