Sunday, February 23, 2014

Oscar Buzz

I'm so excited for the Oscars.  (Miss who's up for the awards? Full list here!)  Over the last two months, Nathan and I have managed to see 7 of the 9 films nominated for Best Picture - the other 2 we managed to see before the holidays started.  This is the second year we've done this, and it's so much fun.  There is a surprising amount of meticulous planning and budgeting, as well as spirited discussion post-film.  After each film, we always go to IMDB and read through the 'trivia' section.  They are always so interesting!  When the Oscar ceremony rolls around, we make predictions and see who can get the most right.  I always keep my predictions pretty secret, but  I'll share with you some of my thoughts.  The movies are also in order of watching them, from most recent to first watched - that way I can't be accused of playing favorites!



I'm writing this review literally hours after I saw this.  A fan of Alexander Payne's directing style, I was not surprised by the beauty of "Nebraska", which meant I just got to enjoy it.  Bruce Dern was great, Will Forte was phenomenal and proved that he is more than just the funny guy, and June Squibb was hilarious throughout the entire movie.  Being set in Nebraska, there was a ton of Midwest-based humor that had the entire theatre cracking up.  Definitely want to see this again, and probably with my grandparents and father, as this is a movie they would love.


At nearly 3 hours, this was definitely the longest one we sat through.  Best part was - it didn't feel long.  A huge fan of Leo, and anything he does with Scorsese, I didn't let any of the drama and critiques towards this movie stop me.  It was honestly one of his best performances since Titanic, if not ever.  Yes, there's a lot of foul language and drug use and nudity and everything your great-grandmother would shame.  I may be in the minority on this one as far as top Best Picture loves, but I did truly love this one.


I"ll be honest - it was weird.  I don't love Joaquin Phoenix, I do love Amy Adams.  I felt uncomfortable in the theatre while I watched it.  I felt uncomfortable with how beautiful I thought it was.  I'm still really unsure of how I feel  overall about the whole movie, because however off-beat it was, it was still beautiful.  Don't get me wrong though - it does deserve to be in this race.


I know, I'm  full of unpopular opinions.  I didn't love this one as much as critics and everyone else did.  Also - Brad Pitt didn't have the role I thought he would.  But I digress.  The film is beautiful and, although based on a book, it was such a unique perspective that isn't often seen in media.  Chiwetel Ejiofor was fantastic, as was Lupita Nyong'o.  I don't think she should win the Oscar, per se, but this film is definitely deserving of every award it has been nominated for.  Um, the cinematography anyone?


I love the British.  I love the Irish.  I love this movie.  I could honestly watch it again, and again, and again.  And again.  This movie was heartbreaking and funny and beautiful.  I don't have a ton of words about it, as it left me speechless.  Judi Dench did wonderfully, and Stephen Frears gave the world something to hold close to their hearts.  In the same case as Will Forte, Steve Coogan proved again that he is more capable than the humor than he is known for.  Anyone want to watch it with me when it comes out on DVD?


As a disclaimer, I don't like Matthew McConaughey that much.  Aside from "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days", I could do without watching one of his movies.  I can now admit that McConaughey has proved himself as more than just a drawling tan guy, and if you don't believe me, this will be the movie that will change your mind.  This was one of the few this year that did make me cry.


"Silver Linings Playbook" was one of my favorite movies last year, and I was not disappointed by "American Hustle".  Well, only slightly.  At times it felt a little draggy, but I later found out that it was because improv was encouraged, which altered the storyline.  I still loved it though.  Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence absolutely blew me away, and I am continually surprised with Amy Adams.  There was so much glamour in this movie, it was hard not to love.


I was on the edge of my seat the ENTIRE TIME.  No joke.  I screamed at one point.  It was fantastic.  Also, the supporting actor nominee, Barkhad Abdi, is a Minnesota Man, and although he won't win, how can you not love a hometown guy?  My mother loved this movie.  You don't know my mother, but it's not often that she loves an Oscar nominated movie.  This movie was wonderfully directed, acted, and casted, and definitely a good family movie to watch with children over the age of 13.  You know, since it's PG-13.


Nathan and I were lucky enough to see this in 3D at a pre-screening event.  I was in love with it initially, though I could have done with a little more George Clooney.  The directing, while phenomenal and in my top three, was not my favorite.  Bullock did amazing; she carried the entire film, no question about it.  It's faded from popular choice, as it came out way back in October, but I won't be surprised when it starts winning some statues.

Which ones have you seen?  Fill out your ballots (at least for the top six awards!) and send them my way - there might be a prize for the winner!  Don't worry, I'll share mine with you via Twitter the day of, and expect a post about it the day after!

No comments:

Post a Comment