Sunday, March 23, 2014

jet setter. az part 1

I apologize for the lack of posting going on.  I took a much needed, week-long vacation with Nathan to visit my grandparents in Arizona this last week.  My goal was to get a few posts done and queued up before I left, but the week got to me and it didn't get done.  Am I making an excuse?  Yes and no, but I'll explain my logic to you another time - long story short, something I love doing (blogging) should not cause me a ton of stress.  Anyways.

Vacation was...interesting.  I celebrated my birthday literally 9 hours before our flight was set to leave, and I am forever grateful to Nathan for keeping me in line and managing the situation.  Not a bad time was had, just interesting and good for stories, which is what counts, right?  It was so wonderful to be picked up by my grandmother at the airport; thus beginning a week full of fun, food, drinks, family, and friends.  Oh, and the S's - sun, swimming, shopping, and sushi! (Nathan would be upset if I forgot the putting green he spent hours on, but it doesn't fit in with the S's.)  I'll be giving you all more details throughout the week, I can't wait to share!

Travelling is something my family does a lot.  I've grown up knowing that if air travel is happening, checking luggage is not an option ninety-nine percent of the time.  Whether it's two days or two weeks, it had better fit in a carry-on sized suitcase (I can't talk about my London Fog suitcase enough!  I'm keeping my eyes out for a new one).  We've all heard the rules about packing light - rolling clothes, minimizing what you bring/wear, limits on pairs of shoes, etc.  I have a couple not-so-common tricks to share with you when it comes to what to bring in your purse/tote.

- Magazines
I have a habit of not reading magazines right away and building up a stockpile.  I throw three in my suitcase, two in my bag, and recycle them throughout the trip.  By the time I get home, I'm five magazines short, and my bags are a bit lighter (with more room to bring home souvenirs!).

- Water
While I love splurging on things when I travel, the cost of a bottle of water is outrageous in some places.  Hotel cups are full of germs.  I throw my empty water bottle in my tote, and fill it up when I get past security.  These water bottles are so handy for packing light!

- Books
Okay, this one is so/so for me.  I love having an actual book in my hand to read, but the Nook/Kindle/iPad has made it so much easier to bring books on vacation and not let them take up so much room!  My rule of thumb is if I feel like I need to bring an actual book, it has to be a thin paperback - everything else needs to be on my Nook or iPad.  It makes my bag so much less bulky to just have one device, instead of four books I would likely have in my bag.

It's not much, but just a few tips for your bag to help things go smoother and your shoulder to not hurt so much!  Can't wait to share more of the trip with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment