Monday, March 24, 2014

unplanned.


Imagine my dismay when I walked outside for the first full week of spring and saw this outside my apartment.  My day pretty much continued on like this - a series of unexpected, unplanned events.

I had an 8am appointment that I arrived at, running on too little sleep and not enough coffee.  I'd planned an hour for this appointment and travel time, yet when I got to my car to head to my internship, I still had a left over 40 minutes.  I'm on a slight spending freeze from my vacation, so heading to a coffee shop wasn't on my list, it wasn't enough time to go back to my apartment or run any errands, so I just went to the office.  As an intern, I don't have a key - so I sat outside our office (indoors) and read my book until someone showed up.  While it was nice to read my book for a little bit, the person coming into the office was running late, which meant I got into the office late (so much for trying to go in early!).

And thus my day started.  Promos were cancelled, intern life got tricky, contacts weren't available, promotions were denied and I dealt with difficult people.  When I did get lucky with a promotion, I had to make it to their location ASAP, as I didn't have time later in the day.  There were other things to be done beforehand, so I didn't know if I would make it on time, if I would get stuck in traffic, have to drive to campus and pay for parking, or if I'd even make it to class on time.

It continued. Quizzes scheduled, stressful production scheduled, more interning from home, hopes to go to the gym, more promo drops to make.  A 20 minute power nap became an "I-missed-the-alarm-OMG" 90 minute nap.  Nothing was going right for me.

It would've been easy to let these things get to me, but throughout the day I somehow made it work, which isn't always easy for me.  I breathed a lot.  I focused on the fact that I got to read this morning and not feel rushed for a few minutes.  I did some quick thinking and made one drop in the morning, knowing I'd have two others to make later, but made it to the bus, to lunch with a friend, and to class on time.  My quiz was postponed.  Production went smoothly, and I made it home.  I had to reschedule two drops due to the unplanned nap, but I felt more rested than I had all day.  I didn't make it to the gym; instead I did some peaceful yoga stretches at home.  I watched a little TV and found myself saying "I love getting to stay up late because I feel motivated".  That's HUGE for me.  Keeping the motivated feeling, feeling productive, and instinctively using "get to" instead of "have to" was the moment for me when I got to sip my glass of wine and smile to myself.  I can do this.  YOU can do this.  I tell myself everyday to just "breathe through it".  I think of some of my favorite inspirational quotes.  Each day, I get through the unplanned.  I know when I wake up in the morning, it will be a new day to tackle, and it's been a long time since I've felt this way and I couldn't feel more blessed to share it with you.  Tomorrow's a new day, one that I can tackle and one where the snow has melted or the coffee shop on the corner changed their sign.

What do you do to keep pushing through the unplanned things?

No comments:

Post a Comment