Tuesday, December 10, 2013

carols and movies



One of my favorite parts of Christmas is singing the songs and watching the movies.  As I write this, I'm definitely watching Chronicles of Narnia, which doesn't necessarily fall under the category of Christmas movie, but it definitely counts as "winter movie".

Anyways.

I've loved Christmas songs for as long as I can remember.  When I played piano, my teacher would take all of her students and we would play Christmas music at McDonalds, and the local assisted living residences.  I loved being able to bring the music to people, and I especially had more appreciation for playing at assisted living residences as I got older.  Now, I just count down the days until I can start listening to Christmas music (it's the same as decorating!).

Last night was my high school's annual Sounds of the Season concert, and I've yet to make it back as an alum.  The special aspect of this concert is that my choir director has directed the same two songs every year, as long as she has been there.  Before the choir sings these songs (Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and Let There Be Peace On Earth), she turns to the audience and asks alumni to come down and join the choir.  As I'm from a small town, it isn't rare for her to point at someone in the audience, call them out for hiding, and make them come down as well.  It's truly a special experience, as there are many siblings and parents who come down and sing as well.  I'm crossing my fingers for next year, when I'll get to sing with both of my sisters  while they're still in school!

I have so many favorite Christmas songs, but here are some for you:

  1. Baby It's Cold Outside - She & Him

  2. Santa Claus is Comin' to Town - Michael Buble

  3. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Frank Sinatra

  4. Sleigh Ride - Johnny Mathis

  5. Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

  6. Wonderful Christmastime - Paul McCartney

  7. Christmas is All Around - Love Actually

  8. Have a Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

  9. It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams

  10. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Kristin Chenoweth

I know there are so many missing from this list, but I tried to showcase my favorites from these artists!

--

As for movies, I love them.  I'm essentially a film major, so it is no surprise that I love movies, but Christmas movies are my favorite.  There is only one I will watch year-round, and that is Love Actually.  It is one of my favorite movies, which is why it can be watched year round.  I love all sorts of Christmas movies; the beautiful (Polar Express), cheesy (Holiday in Handcuffs), and the classics (A Christmas Story).  But here are my top three (excluding Love Actually, since it's just my favorite movie in general).

Christmas Classics

This gets to count as one, because I say so.  Nothing beats the classic claymation of Rudolph and Santa Claus is Comin' to Town, and Frosty the Snowman just cannot be beat.  I watch this whole set in one sitting, every year.


Elf

This is the Christmas movie of my generation, and it's a good one.  Some people pass over it, as Will Ferrell isn't for everyone.  I get that, but this movie IS for people who enjoy the holidays, so everyone should give it a chance.  The soundtrack is also the soundtrack to Christmas - in my mind - and every year, without fail, I hear people quoting it.  I remember seeing this one in the movie theatre, and it never loses its Christmas magic for me.


Three Days

Three Days is a guilty pleasure of mine.  I can only find it on ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas, usually at 3 in the morning.  I have my mom record it on our DVR and it is the first thing I watch when I come home for the holidays.  I cry every single time I watch this movie, but it is the one I'm always most excited to watch this one.

I hope you all enjoy your songs and movies this Christmas.  Watch them while you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment