Sunday, December 8, 2013

Inside Llewyn Davis


Nathan and I were lucky enough to go see a pre-screening of "Inside Llewyn Davis," courtesy of Gofobo.  I'd heard a few things about the film, such as their luck at Cannes, but all I could ever remember was that it was a Cohen Bros. creation, Justin Timberlake, Carey Mulligan, and did I mention Justin Timberlake?

Anyways. It was a beautiful movie. When it was over, and the credits had finished (I love staying for the credits, repercussion of having worked at a movie theatre), the first thing Nathan said to me was "that was beautiful". And it truly was a magnificent story.

I don't have enough familiarity with the body of work the Coen Brothers have created to definitively say I love them, but I loved this film. The acting, setting, filmography, writing, music - my God, the music! - it was all beautiful. It was one of the few films that took me through a single narrative and it was refreshing to have that. So many films spend a majority of the time wrapping up storylines that were started with side characters; while this film definitely left me wondering about the outcome of a few situations, it wasn't distracting. Most of all, it was realistic. I'm not about to classify this film as realism, no, I've spent too much time in film classes to be able to definitively say much, but it felt real, to me. I didn't feel manipulated into false feelings, and I didn't feel forced to sympathize with anyone and it was breathtaking the entire time.

It comes out on December 20th, and it is one that I highly, highly reccommend, especially if you're a fan of folk music. The Avett Brothers, Marcus Mumford, and Justin Timberlake all played parts in putting together the music of the film, and it is worth the expensive movie ticket to see.

1 comment:

  1. […] I’m mostly pleased.  Inside Llewyn Davis got completely snubbed, which is a shame, because I loved that movie.  I’m getting seriously excited for the presentation.  Nathan and I are starting our second […]

    ReplyDelete