Wednesday, December 25, 2013

holiday recap & things I love Thursday

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and still are!  One thing I love about the holidays is they start at Thanksgiving and go through the New Year.  Many families celebrate the week before or the week after, which always extends the joy of the season.  My family tends to get it all done in a period of three or so days, but I love being home.  This is the first time I've been home for more than three days in two years.  TWO YEARS.  It's an amazing feeling, though it has taken the last five days to stop feeling like I was going to have to pack up and go in a matter of hours.  I'm sitting on the couch next to my puppy, and it is wonderful.
My holidays were busy, but grand.  I loved having everyone open the gifts I wrapped so long ago, and unwrapping my own were exciting.  I was part of a scheme to get my sister the Newsies soundtrack and the result was priceless.  It's actually top of my list for Things I Love Thursday.

Sami Reacts to Getting Newsies
It's hilarious, and worth the click.

- One of my favorite gifts was the Kate Spade bangle my mom had gotten for me during one of their surprise sales.  It's the perfect addition to my stack!  They don't sell the one I got anymore, but you can shop their bracelets here to find one to add to your own arm party.



The next few things on my list are a little different than normal.  I'm choosing products that include proceeds that go to charity.  Tis the season.  You can't do a little good while still receiving a little good.

- Harry's
I found this company while looking for a gift for Nathan.  I ended up getting him the Engraved Winston Set and he loved it.  His first comment was that the handle felt like the perfect weight and he couldn't wait to use it.  Fingers crossed he'll be willing to write a review as soon as he uses it!  My hope is that they'll soon make women's razors, otherwise I'll have to start using the Truman on my legs. (Ha! But seriously...)  They have their Give A Shave program that donates 1% of profits and 1% of their time to volunteer to a cause.  Currently, they're working with City Year, a group that prepares people for personal and professional success.

- Warby Parker
I love Warby Parker.  I'm waiting until I get my renewed prescription to get a pair, but I've got my free five on order to try on!  Everyone that I know who has Warby's adores the heck out of them; needless to say, I'm excited.  One of the cofounders of Harry's, Jeff Raider, also cofounded Warby Parker.  This company also has a charity program, Buy A Pair Give A Pair, where for every pair of glasses purchased, funding or another pair goes to non-profit partners.  They also work on training low-income entrepreneurs to start their own companies selling eyeglasses.  As soon as I get a pair, I'll get you a review!

- Laughing Man Coffee
Another one of Nathan's gifts, the Laughing Man Coffee is a little more expensive, but a whole lot more worth it.  According to their story, 100% of the company's revenue goes towards education, community development, and new business development.  It's really a phenomenal program, and Hugh Jackman helped found it.  Who doesn't love Hugh Jackman?

I hope the rest of your holiday season is wonderful!  Did you give or get any gifts that you absolutely love?  Tell me about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment