Tuesday, December 17, 2013

holiday baking.

santa hat cupcake



who doesn't love to eat goodies on Christmas!?  The photo is of a cupcake I ate at work earlier today - it was a Santa hat, but I ate the frosting dollop off the top as soon as I sat down!

Christmas recipes are treasured and passed down from generation to generation, or they're just wonderful reasons for family to get together and cook or bake together.  My family bakes every Christmas, en masse, and it is a wonderful time.

There have been years when I thought I was "too cool" to be home with my family, and other years where I've pleaded for my mom to take a few hours and bake.  Holiday baked goods trays were given to family friends and teachers, filled with the goodies we'd spent an afternoon baking.  For a few years, my mom was in charge of the annual youth bake sale my church held.  That took more than an afternoon.  I would have a few friends over, and everyone would be baking at my grandma's (who had two ovens!) with Christmas music blaring.

I'm not going to be home for baking this year.  It's weird; last year, I missed a lot of family traditions, but it feels more like becoming an adult when more than one is missed.  I'm hoping to make Nathan bake some things with me (we made Kiss cookies last week) but we'll see if our busy schedules permit it.  I'm almost done with finals!

Here are a few of my favorite recipes!

Dipped Bugles
This one is my personal favorite, and it's perfect to do with young kids!
Just melt some baking chocolate or almond bark, dip a bugle, and add an M&M.  Place on wax paper to dry, and you suddenly have a sweet and salty delicious bite in your mouth.  The Christmas M&Ms are perfect for this.



Pretzel Turtles
I don't personally love pecans, not all the time, but these are my grandfather's favorites.

And here's a couple of gluten-free one.  I have an aunt who is gluten intolerant, so it's nice to have a few of these on hand.

Three-Ingredient Kiss CookiesNathan and I made these on Date Night.  So, so good, and gluten-free.  We cut the 1 cup sugar into 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar.

Fudgy Avocado Peanut Butter BrowniesLet it be known, I do not like avocados.  Yes, that means I don't like guacamole.  Nathan, on the other hand, LOVES avocados.  I found this recipe over the summer, and the author's husband doesn't like avocados, but he liked the brownies, so I thought - why not.  Also.  Healthier.  It's almost like a vegetable/fruit, so go ahead, eat the whole pan.

And I promise, you can't taste the avocado.

--

What do you love to bake!?  Send me some of your recipes, I'd love to try them!


1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear you liked the Fudgy Avocado Peanut Butter Brownies, isn't it amazing to be able to bake with avocado? Have a great week and have a nice holiday!

    ReplyDelete